Creating Safe Spaces
While the perpetrators of violence (like intimate partner violence, domestic violence, or sexual assault) are solely responsible for their crimes, we all play a role in creating safe spaces and looking out for each other. Recognizing the signs or situations that can lead to violence can help us stay safe – or intervene if needed.
- IF YOU SEE: Mean or degrading speech
- SAY: Are you okay?
- IF YOU SEE: Unwanted touch
- SAY: Is there anyone I can call for you?
- IF YOU SEE: Physical violence (pushing, hitting, slapping)
- SAY: Let’s leave.
- IF YOU SEE: Coercion
- SAY: They asked you to stop.
- IF YOU SEE: Manipulation
- SAY: How can I help?
- IF YOU SEE: Unwanted following
- SAY: I’m worried about you
- IF YOU SEE: Concerning texts or social media posts
- SAY: Is everything okay?